The Thai Food and Drug Administration is responsible for the protection of the health and safety of consumers, by ensuring the quality of health products.
The FDA thus controls the following products in the Thai market (manufactured or imported): foods, drugs, psychotropic substances, narcotics, medical devices, volatile substances, cosmetics and hazardous substances. FDA-approval is required to manufacture or import any of those products.
FDA approval is contingent upon five criteria:
• Pre-marketing checks of the factory, product, and advertising
• Post-marketing: routine checks of previously inspected facilities and products
• Post-launch consumer safety surveillance programs
• Consumer education, to ensure that consumers receive sufficient and accurate information.
• Technical support and cooperation with other agencies